POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Getting into Linux... : Re: Getting into Linux... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:31:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting into Linux...
From: TonyB
Date: 30 Sep 1999 07:34:45
Message: <37f34ad5@news.povray.org>
>Yes. And MS Windows is bad even though it is more 'mature' than Linux.
;-)

It IS?

>No. I bought PartitionMagic, but from the little reading I did, decided to
go
>with LILO over Boot Magic. The gist of things may have been that
PartitionMagic
>was nicer graphically, but that LILO just was more robust and worked
better.

I need something that is simple to explain. My parents are both well into
their 50s and need the easiest, most painfully obvious explanations when it
comes to using the computer. Example 1: push the big button to turn it on;
wait until the little light stops flashing (all is loaded), and then double
click on the "Outlook Express" icon; wait, and the e-mail will be there.
Example 2: if the machine is making noise (fan), then it is on.

>Well, one thing I'd go by is try to get one that has 2.2.x kernel. Or skip
>lunch a few days and buy the CheapBytes RedHat 6.0

Do you think dad gives me lunch money? No, no. He gives me juice in a
carton, and expects me to eat at home upon my return from school. (I'm used
to it, so it's cool, but I just wanted to make the point about how that
won't increase my wealth one bit.) Besides, a friend has convinced me to go
with SuSE 6.2. He hails it as THE distribution of Linux, and he's got me
hooked. I'll be installing it with his help within the next couple of weeks.