POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Getting into Linux... : Re: Getting into Linux... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:30:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting into Linux...
From: TonyB
Date: 29 Sep 1999 12:49:01
Message: <37f242fd@news.povray.org>
>Although some installations mention having a separate partition for /home
>I guess part of that is so that you can completely blow away the Linux
system
>and re-install while preserving any user data you have.

That sounds good. Mr. Hecht recommends /opt as well. Do you?

>1) Linux gives you the core OS.
>
>2) X-Windows gives you a graphical display.
>
>3) A window manager running on top of that gives you frames for the
windows,
>helps them move, etc.
>(I'd suggest using Enlightenment, with maybe Window Maker if you reaaaaaaly
>don't like Enlightenment)
>
>4) On top of X and the window manager runs your desktop environment, if you
>so choose to have one. This is usually either KDE (booo hiss) or GNOME.

So KDE is bad even though it is more 'mature' than GNOME?

>From what I read a little, sticking with LILO is the better thing to do. I
>scanned the newsgroups this last spring when I bought Partition Magic and
>first installed Linux at home.

So, you use Boot Magic, but you recommend LILO?

>Also, as of the later versions of Red Hat, KDE has been present as an
option.

That's nice.

>BTW, if forgot to mention. I'd strongly suggest going with Red Hat 6.0 over
>5.2. Among other things, there is the change from the 2.0.x kernel to the
>2.2.x series. If you want, you can get the free version from places like
>CheapBytes for $1.99 + S/H for a bootable install CD. (that's all I ever
use)

The guy I can get Mandrake from bought it via CheapBytes. Unfortunately I
can't get any money out of dad, so that's not an option for me. The time I
bought 5.2 was 'cause I was in Miami (Junior Orange Bowl) playing chess and
I had some spending cash on me.

OK. Another question I have is which distribution to go with. I can get
Mandrake. I have RedHat 5.2. Mr. Parker recommends Caldera. Should I just
install the one I can get my hands on the quickest?