POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Getting into Linux... : Re: Getting into Linux... Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:12:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting into Linux...
From: TonyB
Date: 28 Sep 1999 23:27:56
Message: <37f1873c@news.povray.org>
>Linux needs to boot from one of your first two IDE drives if you're
>using IDE (I don't think this requirement holds for SCSI).  It also has
>to be on a partition in the first Iforgethowmany cylinders.

Excellent. Then I shouldn't have any problems. I just need to get one of
those IDE Y-cables.

>You really only need two: root and swap.  You should have a swap
>partition (unless you have gobs of memory), and Linux prefers (very
>strongly) a partition dedicated to that purpose.

OK, so for POV, and all my other future Linuxing needs I only require two?
That should be easy enough. BTW, I have 128MB of memory, is that enough?
(OK, stupid question, I know... POV can eat that up very fast...)

>It's all very modular, highly customizable, and still in
>development. :-P

A little too modular. :| Let me review this: X Windows is the base, upon
which I add KDE, which gives me more interactivity between the GUI and my
mouse, and then fvwm/Elightenment/AfterStep (which is best?) add the
Minimize, Maximize and Kill to the window edge? Sounds complicated... :/

>LILO should be an option (not sure how well it gets along with Win98).
>I don't know about Partition Magic.

Not PM, but the Boot Manager from it. I think it and Windows coexist
happily. I've tried it before (with '95).

>There's a religious war between KDE and Gnome, and Red Hat sided with
>Gnome, largely for ideological reasons.

Odd. Such as?

>Some people preferred KDE
>(which is more mature than Gnome) and built a KDE-oriented distribution
>around Red Hat (something like what Red Hat would be like had they
>chosen KDE instead of Gnome).  That's how I understand Mandrake,
>anyways.

Ooohhh... then yay, Mandrake! ^_^  (Right?)

>Ask away.

Thanks. =)