POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Thickness of Transparent Objecs / Index of Refraction : Re: Thickness of Transparent Objecs / Index of Refraction Server Time
5 Sep 2024 20:18:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thickness of Transparent Objecs / Index of Refraction
From: Takuya Arai
Date: 23 Sep 1999 08:15:15
Message: <37ea19d3@news.povray.org>
In article <37ea02a4@news.povray.org>, Nieminen Juha <war### [at] cctutfi> wrote:

>  Povray only handles (mathematical) surfaces, not solid 3D objects.
>  The algorithm for refraction is pretty simple: First the ray is "outside".
>When the ray hits the surface, another ray is shot from there (varying its
>direction depending on the ior) and this ray will be "inside". When the
>ray hits the surface of the same object again, the new ray will be again
>"outside".

Ah ha.  So it does handle it like a solid 3D object then.  Okay, that's
cool...and I assume it works just the same even if you're using bicubic
patches too then right?

>  New users often don't realize that objects are only surfaces and nothing
>more.

I knew that, but I wasn't sure if it would consider the inside of an object as
a hollow space.  In another words, I wasn't sure if it would artificially put
a thickness to a surface I guess.

Thank you.

Tim