POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Calling all uv experts... : Re: Calling all uv experts... Server Time
3 Sep 2024 00:14:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Calling all uv experts...
From: Cliff Bowman
Date: 7 Sep 1999 13:23:36
Message: <37d545f7.80371370@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 06 Sep 1999 16:21:58 +0200, Gilles Tran <tra### [at] inapginrafr>
wrote:

>> mesh2 to be included after someone other than me has passed some
>> comments on the program. I want to get the "OBJ to Cliff" conversion
>> down pat first. Now I'm comfortable with uvPOV's UV implimentation
>> (the first I ever encountered BTW) I need to maximise my understanding
>> of Posers/OBJ's.
>
>One reason I use mesh2 is the drastic reduction in both file size and parsing
>time (+ some little reduction in memory use). I have a long-delayed project
>of an animation involving galloping horses. The gallop cycle would use 30 or
>so meshes and I'd like to parse at lease 5 horses simultaneously. For this
>kind of project, both batch support and mesh2 support would be handy.

Well Poser .OBJ to Cliff (and thence to mesh) I have about down pat
now I think (although I haven't finished investigating the materials
file) and batch processing too (virtually a necessity for the Lip
synch test). But I'm having trobule with the mesh2 format when I had
another bash at it "yesterday" (6 Sept 1999)  - any chance I can take
this to e-mail and bug the hell out of you? <eg> There's something I'm
not understanding about the format, and the annoying thing is - I
don't know what it is I don't know!

I've generated a "simple cube" in mesh2 format that I thought should
place an image fully on each side - but doesn't. Far from it. If all I
need is a tweak or two in my understanding then there are significant
file size savings to be made using mesh2 :)

BTW if you've already got the VB5 runtime installed (Win98, or any
other VB5 program installed) then you're welcome to become one of a
select few brave souls doing pre-beta testing and commentary. There's
a brief list of "hopes" for the program in the minimal documentation,
and if I ever crack mesh2 then I'll make the program available in the
utilities group long before it's "finished" to my satisfaction - as
that day will probably never come (projects aren't finished, just
abandoned). Without the VB5 runtime it should come in at around 108KB
zipped (plus whatever I get written between now and then - it's only
recently leapt to 108K from 87K due to additional code). If you're
wondering how finished it is then - not at all really. But it's
working pretty well with Poser4 .OBJ models for single files or
batches to standard uvPOV meshes - and I haven't heard of any bugs
ropping up lately "in the field" (in this case since it isn't released
yet the field in question is more like a back garden, but you get my
drift I'm sure).

Cheers,

Cliff Bowman
Why not pay my 3D Dr Who site a visit at http://www.who3d.cwc.net/