POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Single BMP, perhaps you all misunderstood my question : Re: Single BMP, perhaps you all misunderstood my question Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:26:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Single BMP, perhaps you all misunderstood my question
From: Nieminen Juha
Date: 7 Sep 1999 10:06:14
Message: <37d51bd6@news.povray.org>
Remco de Korte <rem### [at] xs4allnl> wrote:
: Ehm, we're talking about a _game_ here. Like those things you can download 28Mb
: demo's of.
: Would it really be such an advantage to use PNGs instead of BMPs? I think not.
: As a matter of fact I think PNG are seldomly used for that. There are all sorts
: of custom formats around where multiple images are stored in one big
: blob-data-file but if you want to make it simple on your self in programming a
: game on a windows platform BMP is not such a bad choice.

  I quote myself: "Disk space is cheap but still limited".
  This means that with current hard disks the size of one game doesn't matter
at all. It could be 10 kilobytes or 1 Gigabyte. Big deal.
  The problem is that you seldom play just one game and use just one program.
Usually you have many of them on your disk. If everyone of them took 1
Gigabyte, you will certainly complain. A 16 Gigabytes hard disk would be
full quite soon.
  It's good to think that your program is not the only program the end user
will be using. Saving storage space for the other programs is polite, IMHO.

: If diskspace is a
: consideration you might use RLE-compressed bitmaps

  RLE doesn't pack very well.