POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Help me pls! Turning list of points into triangle mesh? : Re: Help me pls! Turning list of points into triangle mesh? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:23:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help me pls! Turning list of points into triangle mesh?
From: Cliff Bowman
Date: 1 Sep 1999 19:45:12
Message: <37cd6be6.9548178@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 31 Aug 1999 21:17:41 -0500, Mark Gordon <mtg### [at] mailbagcom>
wrote:

>Ron Parker wrote:
>>
>> Unfortunately, it's not quite that easy.  You can't lop of just any
>> pointy bit.  Take a simple isosceles triangle.  Add a new vertex at
>> the center of the base.  Move that vertex upward, so what you get looks
>> like a rather angular version of the Federation emblem from Star Trek.
>> Note that the angle surrounding the topmost vertex qualifies as a
>> "pointy bit" yet the resulting triangle is neither inside nor outside
>> the polygon.
>
>Point well taken.  Like I said, I was a bit sleep deprived.

It would appear from empiracle evidence that .OBJ writers are using
the many-verteces face as a space saving technique (obviously 20-odd
coplanar triangles take less file space when expressed as a single
face than as numerous triangles). I have yet to find a face which
isn't convex, or one that isn't co-planar. As such I've got a simple
solution in place just waiting for a .OBJ file with the right
deficiencies to make the program translate incorrectly <eg>

Please - no one build a .OBJ in a text editor just to break the
program!

Cheers,

Cliff Bowman
Why not pay my 3D Dr Who site a visit at http://www.who3d.cwc.net/