POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Pentium3 SSE/AMD 3DNow! optimized POVRay : Re: Pentium3 SSE/AMD 3DNow! optimized POVRay Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:24:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pentium3 SSE/AMD 3DNow! optimized POVRay
From: forkazoo
Date: 29 Aug 1999 19:09:15
Message: <37c9bd9b@news.povray.org>

>>  If someone makes a compiler which can optimize code for SSE or 3DNow,
>>it will be absolutely possible to compile an optimized version.
>>  However, such a compiler is hardly possible (for the reason Ron stated;
>>if you use doubles, the compiler _can't_ optimize them to floats).

I downloaded the Metrowerks light edition for windows recently, and it has
options for having it automatically put out K6 + PIII optimised code.
Granted, no compiler can make doubles into floats, but it would be
interesting to see what it can do.

Unfortunately, I can not compile PoV, as I only have the light edition, and
I can not deal with more than one source file at a time  (unless somebody
could send me the .mcp project file)  And, even if I could, I don't think I
could distribute binaries made with the light edition.  Oh well.