POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Help me pls! Turning list of points into triangle mesh? : Re: Help me pls! Turning list of points into triangle mesh? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:25:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help me pls! Turning list of points into triangle mesh?
From: Cliff Bowman
Date: 29 Aug 1999 13:12:39
Message: <37c969e1.1842283@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 29 Aug 1999 09:18:52 -0500, Mark Gordon <mtg### [at] mailbagcom>
wrote:

>Remco de Korte wrote:
>>
>> I don't know if this'll alway work but I would calculate a 'middle'-point (M)
>> (adding up aal points in the object and dividing them by the amount of points)
>> then step through the row of points connecting two consecutive points to this M
>> (creating a triangle.
>
>If the polygon is planar, there is no benefit to this approach.  If the
>polygons are approximations of curved surfaces or the vertices are
>points on a curved surface, picking a point in the middle and
>reevaluating the surface function at that point does make some sense.
>If adding points isn't necessary, then adding points will increase the
>number of triangles and thereby decrease performance.  If the polygon is
>planar, just pick an existing vertex and draw edges to all the other
>points. If all the narrow angles cause acne or something due to loss of
>precision, though, your idea may be worth a shot.  I haven't actually
>tried it.

I think what I'm going to ahve to do is write a "face preview"
facility in OBJuvPOV I think. So that I can *see* what the program's
encountering to help me evaluate which tack might work (I'm not good
at math - I've not the first idea how to work out if a face is planar
given just the verteces - unless they happen to lie along one of the
axes, of course!).

Cheers,

Cliff Bowman
Why not pay my 3D Dr Who site a visit at http://www.who3d.cwc.net/