POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Help me pls! Turning list of points into triangle mesh? : Help me pls! Turning list of points into triangle mesh? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:20:30 EDT (-0400)
  Help me pls! Turning list of points into triangle mesh?
From: Cliff Bowman
Date: 28 Aug 1999 20:35:38
Message: <37c87e27.11046292@news.povray.org>
Hi - I'm trying to write a converter for Wavefront .OBJ file to uvPOV.
It's going quite well so far but... there are a few oddities to some
OBJ files which I've yet to find "the best" solution to.

For example.

Some .OBJ faces comprise more than 4 points. I've successfully tested
turning 4 points into 2 triangles, and this seems to work well. Does
anyone know how to reliably turn faces with more points into triangle
meshes? Or has anyone happened on a procedure which "happens to work"
(like my 1,2,3 - 3,4,1 procedure for 4-point faces)?

Other issues revolve around .OBJ files containing degenerate triangles
(sorted. Silly, but sorted) and having normals for only SOME of the
verteces of a triangle - at the moment I'm fudging this by using a
standard triangle (instead of a smooth triangle) for any triangle
which doesn't have a full set of normals.

Any help would be greatly appreciate :)

Cheers,

Cliff Bowman
Why not pay my 3D Dr Who site a visit at http://www.who3d.cwc.net/