POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Calling all uv experts... : Re: Calling all uv experts... Server Time
3 Sep 2024 00:15:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Calling all uv experts...
From: Cliff Bowman
Date: 27 Aug 1999 18:20:06
Message: <37c6fa90.11399768@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 27 Aug 1999 19:02:45 +0200, Gilles Tran <tra### [at] inapginrafr>
wrote:

>Being back from vacation for a few hours, some comments on uv-mapping.
>First I'm very happy that it's finally getting the interest of many
>people. There are many little problems in all the converters I found so
>it's handy to have several of them. Recently I had to remove all the
>degenerate triangles from a Poser mesh because the Superpatch refused it
>(mesh2 accepted it though) ! It's not a completely straightforward
>technique but it's worth it. So many thanks and best of luck for your
>converter.

Gilles - where were you while I was finidng out about degenerate
triangles?

Jeesh, some people. Give them a minute and they take a vacation!

The entire impetus behind OBJuvPOV is those little "annoyances" using
other techinques - either existing converters or convoluted
work-arounds. Since I'm more interested in animations than still
images, I *need* to do little or no work to an OBJ in order to reuse
it in POV. So I'm spending days of time writing the converter to save
myself a few minutes... no, seriously, even though it's slow it should
make life much easier for me. I'll hopefully have a test version for
Ken this weekend and if all goes well then the first public beta will
follow shortly. If there's something which would drastically improve a
user's experience of the program then I'm up for potentially including
it - as (as far as I'm concerned) I'm going to be it's #1 user.

There's even been an offer of some assistance in getting my head
around Java - if Java offers significant speed inducements then I'm
all for that (and quite liked what I've seen of the Java language -
just not the compatability issues. But then they're NOTHING as
compared to the VB compatability issues - which only works on
windoze). Maybe I'll try and work on moving this thread over to the
programming group?

[snip]
>Of course obj export already works fine in Poser so an obj -> mesh 2
>converter will be great.

Using "mesh" for the moment (largely because I had so many problems
with mesh2 initially - mainly my own, alas).

mesh2 to be included after someone other than me has passed some
comments on the program. I want to get the "OBJ to Cliff" conversion
down pat first. Now I'm comfortable with uvPOV's UV implimentation
(the first I ever encountered BTW) I need to maximise my understanding
of Posers/OBJ's.

BTW I hear you've done some interesting hair... pointers on where to
look up what you've done?

Cheers,

Cliff Bowman
Why not pay my 3D Dr Who site a visit at http://www.who3d.cwc.net/