POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Calling all uv experts... : Re: Calling all uv experts... Server Time
2 Sep 2024 18:14:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Calling all uv experts...
From: Cliff Bowman
Date: 24 Aug 1999 15:01:00
Message: <37c2ebff.15445907@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 24 Aug 1999 18:07:03 +0300, Vahur Krouverk <vah### [at] fvaetecee>
wrote:

>Cliff Bowman wrote:
>>
>> Hi. I'm trying to write an OBJ to POv converter.
>[snip]
>
>Hi!
>First I have to say, that I ain't UV expert and don't own Poser, but if
>all you want to do is to have Poser=>POVRay conversion, then I believe,
>that the solution already exists. Gilles Tran has claimed, that he uses
>obj2pov and 3DS2pov to convert Poser objects to POVRay. I guess, that he
>exports Poser to 3DS format (although i don't know, whether is it
>possible, as I don't have Poser) and then uses 3DS2POV utility to
>convert it to mesh2 with all uv information. I think that he is at the
>moment on vacation and therefore he can't share his experience.
>I personally have used 3DS2POV for exporting Rhino models to POVRay
>quite successfully.

Yup but doesn't have the flexibility I need alas - I need batch
conversion with UV mapping. 3DS to POV does batch conversions - but
Poserd to 3DS introduces texture problems which need hand fixing.

I've a strong impression that the problem is a bug of my making, which
I'm continuing to investigate :(

Cheers,

Cliff Bowman
Why not pay my 3D Dr Who site a visit at http://www.who3d.cwc.net/