POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Re: Making Media look like Halo (was Re: Lake Two ...) : Re: Making Media look like Halo (was Re: Lake Two ...) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:26:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Making Media look like Halo (was Re: Lake Two ...)
From: Ron Parker
Date: 20 Aug 1999 14:28:09
Message: <37bd9e39@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 20 Aug 1999 13:07:03 -0500, Mike wrote:
>Now I haven't tried this yet, but my theory is that, if at the end of each time
through
>sample_media we make:
>
>Prev_Sample = Current_Sample
>
>Than a supersample_media function could compare the two and if they vary by more than
>certain value take additional samples (call itself recursively) between them until
>either a max_level is reached or the extra samples don't vary enough.  All I'm doing
is
>comparing how it was done with atmosphere, which we know yielded good results in a
>relatively short span of time. :)

I see.  That could work.  You'd have to eliminate the second loop in the
function that calls sample_media, of course, and possibly add some stuff
to the parser for samples so it could ignore the lack of a max value.  It
certainly makes sense.  I wasn't getting what you were saying because I
was still stuck on confidence and variance. :)

Next question: are you going to make the sampling method a media-by-media
setting, or will it be the same for an entire interior?  The former would
be more flexible, but the latter is easier to implement and allows for
greater flexibility in your sampling methods.