POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : Mars, if it had water : Re: Mars, if it had water Server Time
3 Sep 2024 06:20:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mars, if it had water
From: Ron Parker
Date: 20 Aug 1999 10:36:24
Message: <37bd67e8@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 20 Aug 1999 19:37:00 +0800, Morpheus Dreamlord wrote:
>ignorance is not a mistake, and is not a wrong thing,
>
>what is wrong is making ignorance a virtue, almost a god, and refusing
>to acknowledge that one does not know something.
>
>my point is made by the fact that he reposted the file as jpg..  hence
>he must know something about jpg..  so why the bitmap in the first
>place?

Probably because that's what POV for Windows generates by default,
and the issue of bandwidth hadn't occured to him until it was
too late.  In any case, there's a difference between ignorance and
stupidity, and you accused him (and, apparently, most people - depends
on who you meant by "them") of being too stupid to use JPG or PNG.

Besides, in his other posts Chuck has been more than forthcoming about
the fact that he's new to POV and new to this server and thus ignorant
of the syntax and the local customs.  I don't see anyone making a god
or even a virtue out of ignorance here.

There are polite ways and there are impolite ways to let someone know
they did something wrong.  There's not a lot of evidence that the
impolite ways are any more effective at that job.

But, I've been in too many flamewars already this month, so that's the
last I'm gonna say on it.  You either get it or you don't.