POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : Sand Dunes : Re: Sand Dunes again Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:18:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sand Dunes again
From: Ron Parker
Date: 20 Aug 1999 10:28:22
Message: <37bd6606@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 20 Aug 1999 05:44:16 -0500, Bob Hughes wrote:
>Anyhow, a reminder about the HF images made using POV-Ray procedural
>textures: I believe it was Ron Parker
>who told of how color_maps can overrun their bounds so to speak,
>possibly from turbulence being applied, I'm not sure.

I posted specifically about the bozo pattern generating values outside
of the range [0..1].  Crackle almost certainly has the same problem;
other patterns may as well.  Changing the RGB values doesn't do any
good, because POV will always clamp the result to the first or last
color in the map if the pattern value's out of range.  This isn't
just a problem with heightfields; it happens with normals and pigments
too.