POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Non-triangular patches -> triangles...? : Non-triangular patches -> triangles...? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 18:22:20 EDT (-0400)
  Non-triangular patches -> triangles...?
From: Cliff Bowman
Date: 19 Aug 1999 13:20:46
Message: <37bc3976.5411425@news.povray.org>
Is there an accepted "safe" way of converting an unknown number of
points into a series of triangles for a mesh/mesh2?

I'm looking at the structure of .OBJ files for conversion to uvPOV (in
batches - and so far I've not found a batch OBJ to POV converter) and
while examining the data (to learn and understand the format,
basically) I've discovered several "patches" with more than 3 points.
although the most I've *seen* so far is 4 points, I can draw a 4-point
patch in 2D that'd "break" if translated simply into 2 triangles.

Help?

Oh yeah - if anyone knows of a batch OBJ -> uvPatch POV/Superpatch POV
converter then pls let me know - you'll save me a lot of work (even if
it is "fun").

Cheers,

Cliff Bowman
Why not pay my 3D Dr Who site a visit at http://www.who3d.cwc.net/