POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Bug in UVPov? : Re: Bug in UVPov? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 18:21:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bug in UVPov?
From: Ron Parker
Date: 18 Aug 1999 09:32:53
Message: <37bab605@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 18 Aug 1999 01:39:03 -0400, Mark Wagner wrote:
>When I render the following scene as a 512x384 image with the parameter +k
>of 0.54 or 0.86, or probably several other values, UVPOV 5.2 crashes with
>the error "UVPOV caused an invalid page fault in module UVPOV.EXE at
>015f:00442445." while rendering line 147 of the image.  However, if any of
>the lines in the photons block in the global_settings is commented out, or
>if a value for +k less than 0.54 is used, this error does not occur.

It appears that photonOptions.numPhotons is zero when it goes to gather
photons.  I've seen this once, too, but I attributed it to my inability to
write a proper scene file.  I think this means that there's nothing for
your photons to hit, so they fly off into space and are never recorded.
Obviously it's a bug in UVPOV that this causes it to crash, but it's also
a bug in your scene file.  Replacing your box with

plane { x, -5
  texture {
    pigment {color rgb 1}
    finish {ambient .2 diffuse .5}
  }
}

results in a scene that renders just fine.  Hopefully Nathan can come
up with a brilliant fix that resolves the crash problem as well.