POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.tutorials : beyond normal maps.... : Re: beyond normal maps.... Server Time
2 May 2024 15:08:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: beyond normal maps....
From: Philip Bartol
Date: 14 Aug 1999 03:44:28
Message: <37b51e5c@news.povray.org>
In article <37B4E33B.5CBBB22F@sitc.net>, TigerHawk <tig### [at] sitcnet> wrote:
>That's not a bad idea at all....though for huge objects, wow. I think most of
>the things I need to do I will try and do with sPatch. Right now I am still
>learning how to make it work right (I found the hide function today,
>yay!)....I'm having trouble figuring out how to do indentions in an already
>created surface...I just haven't used it enough, but it is the only modeller

I think what you're going to need to do is split up the surface and move the
points on the spline where you moved it, for instance if you have a piece of
paper:

+--------+
 |         |
 |         |
 |         |
+--------+

You'll need to add some additional sections to it like:

+--+--+--+
 |   |   |   |
+--+--+--+
 |   |   |   |
+--+--+--+
 |   |   |   |

and move the points in the middle to bend the surface. If the surface isn't in
the x, y, or z planes you'll have a real hard time doing this (getting the
points lines up). sPatch could use a user drawing plane, but then again,
AutoCAD spoiled me years ago with it.

Hope that is of some help....

PHIL

-----[ to reply, the domain name is "concentric.net" ]-----
Spelling mistakes brought to you courtesy of the
Allentown Public School System.