POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Pentium3 SSE/AMD 3DNow! optimized POVRay : Re: Pentium3 SSE/AMD 3DNow! optimized POVRay Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:27:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pentium3 SSE/AMD 3DNow! optimized POVRay
From: Ron Parker
Date: 13 Aug 1999 09:24:52
Message: <37b41ca4@news.povray.org>
On 13 Aug 1999 02:39:12 -0400, Nieminen Mika wrote:
>Ron Parker <par### [at] fwicom> wrote:
>:>When?
>
>: Probably never.  Portability has always been more important than
>: speed.  In any case, both SSE and 3DNow are single-precision only,
>: so it would be hard to make POV benefit from them.
>
>  If someone makes a compiler which can optimize code for SSE or 3DNow,
>it will be absolutely possible to compile an optimized version.
>  However, such a compiler is hardly possible (for the reason Ron stated;
>if you use doubles, the compiler _can't_ optimize them to floats).

Actually, Intel does make such a compiler (for SSE, obviously) and it's a
drop-in replacement for MSVC.  I have access to it.  The bad news: It makes
my K6 run 3 seconds *slower* on skyvase than the same code compiled with
the original MSVC compiler.  If anyone wants to give me a P///, I can test
it with that...