POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : nested refracting options : Re: nested refracting options Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:23:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: nested refracting options
From: Ron Parker
Date: 11 Aug 1999 13:18:42
Message: <37b1b072@news.povray.org>
On 11 Aug 1999 13:05:43 -0400, Nieminen Mika wrote:
>Dennis Miller <" dhmiller"> wrote:
>: Is there any way to bump up the limit on nested refracting options? I
>: have 256 MB of physical RAM in an NT system, yet I get this message
>: often
>: (too many nested refracting objects.)
>
>  I have never seen this message before. How exactly do you get it?

By having a ray that is inside 100 or more objects at a time.  This would
be easy to achieve with lots of triangles, bicubic_patches, or other
patch objects that the ray never leaves.  To change the limit, you can
change MAX_CONTAINING_OBJECTS in frame.h to a larger number and recompile,
but be aware that each containing object takes up a bit of memory.  A
better fix would be to not add independent (i.e. non-union) patch objects
to the container list, but that might get ugly.