POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Proposal for df3 output : Re: Proposal for df3 output Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:32:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Proposal for df3 output
From: Robert Dawson
Date: 9 Aug 1999 11:26:06
Message: <37aef30e@news.povray.org>
Peter Popov <pet### [at] usanet> wrote in message
> On Fri, 30 Jul 1999 21:20:57 +0200, "ingo" <ing### [at] ingodemonnl> wrote:
>
> >Peter,
> >What other ways are there to model media, besides pigments?
> >
> >ingo
>
> Media allows for logical AND and OR operations on the patterns
> involved.
>
> Actually the whole idea behind exporting a df3 modeled with media is
> that a df3 density will subsequenty render much faster than the
> combination of densities and media used to model it. I find this of
> great help for all those test renders. It will not offer new
> functionality, just ease of use.

    The new functionality would enter if somebody (don't look at me, folks)
were to write a df3 editor, a sort of "3d paint" program.

    Obvious features to add would be:

    sculpt/stain/build (like a brush tool)
    spray               (like an airbrush tool)
    turbulence/blur/sharpen/density_curve_adjust  (filters)
    box/sphere/cylinder/torus (like rectangle/ellipse tools but also
                        somewhat like 3D CAD primitives)
    rotate/flip/stretch...
    resampling to change resolution
    cutting and pasting chunks
    3D-specific tools: sag, hollow, drip...
    tilable_block option

    spinning, slicing, and dicing views
    temporary transparency for viewing one density range at a time
    stereo viewing?

    support for other density_file formats as they come out (one obvious
alternative is an octree; a JPEG-like format might be a possibility too.
That's primarily up to the POV team and secondarily to the POV patchers)

    alternative non-df3 output as a union of objects [eg, spheres partially
filling a axbxc grid] (well, this might give a way to testbed a density_file
format that had not yet been implemented in POV; one could output an octree
easily in this way.)

    Robert Dawson