POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Memory? : Re: Memory? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:17:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memory?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 8 Aug 1999 03:21:58
Message: <37ad3016@news.povray.org>
In article <37ad1977@news.povray.org> , "Steve Horn <horn <dot> 74 @ osu"
<"dot> edu."> wrote:

> I have recently discovered that POV_MALLOC() is just a
> container-function for the regular ANSI C function malloc().  Since when
> has malloc() been able to access EMS?  In all my other C and C++
> compilers, malloc() can only get space off the heap,  i.e. you are
> limited to the base 640K.    Is this a Win95 issue? Or a flat-model
> memory issue?     I expected to see complicated DPMI interfacing in the
> source, and all I found was POV_MALLOC().   My question is: what is this
> hidden memory "trick" that I don't know about.  Thanks,

Just a correct compiler setting and a good library allowing 32 bit
addressing under DOS - you are talking about DOS also the other question you
posted in this NG is Visual C++ related, right?
Or are you wondering about the difference between Win16 and Win32
applications?

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany