POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Photons do not go through shadowless objects? : Re: Photons do not go through shadowless objects? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 20:14:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photons do not go through shadowless objects?
From: Nieminen Mika
Date: 6 Aug 1999 03:07:31
Message: <37aa89b3@news.povray.org>
Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
:   I think it is better that the user can set that flag themselves rather than
: have it set conditionaly. More is better than less where features are concerned
: and you may find yourself wishing someday that a shadowless object will not
: allow photons to pass through.

  I think it's more intuitive that when light seems to go unmodified through
shadowless object and illumiates everything regardless of the object,
photons would do the same.
  Actually it took me several hours to discover the problem. I had the
light source surrounded with a bright object and for some reason uvpov
didn't calculate any photons. When I set the light source to be an area
light, it calculated photons, so I thought there was some kind of bug (the
real reason was that the area light was bigger than the surrounding object).
  After several hours of wondering I discovered it. I removed the object
and everything started working fine.
  I was just thinking that if light goes through, photons do it as well.