POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Depth mapping (was Large bumpmaps, etc.) : Re: Depth mapping (was Large bumpmaps, etc.) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:19:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Depth mapping (was Large bumpmaps, etc.)
From: Ron Parker
Date: 5 Aug 1999 19:38:52
Message: <37aa2014.71093169@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 5 Aug 1999 12:19:22 -0700, "Ray Gardener"
<ray### [at] daylongraphicscom> wrote:

Ah.  None of this is what I think of when I think of the term "depth
map."  To me, a depth map is a greyscale image you use to make SIRDS
or height fields.  What you're looking for is significantly more
complicated for many reasons, not the least of which is the POV
architecture's dependency on rendering things in order, left to right
and top to bottom.  That's because it writes the image to the disk as
it completes it, rather than keeping the whole thing in memory.