POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Depth mapping (was Large bumpmaps, etc.) : Re: Depth mapping (was Large bumpmaps, etc.) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:15:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Depth mapping (was Large bumpmaps, etc.)
From: Ron Parker
Date: 5 Aug 1999 09:05:07
Message: <37a98c03@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 4 Aug 1999 17:06:33 -0700, Ray Gardener wrote:
>Ron Parker wrote in message <37a83e5e@news.povray.org>...
>>
>>It's been done, and it's not too difficult at all.  It would take
>>a few minutes to put all the appropriate stuff in all the appropriate
>>places to do it.
>
>Do you know what characteristics the depth map
>would have (i.e., what information it would
>store for each pixel)? If help is needed to
>implement it I'm willing to assist.

What information do you envision it needing?  The last time I did it
was to generate SIRDS, so I only needed the distance along the camera's
direction vector.  If you need much more, you'll likely find yourself
constrained by the output format, unless you create a custom output
filetype to contain the extra data.  Extra data will also make the
project a trifle more difficult, though not terribly so.