POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Isoblob patch beta : Re: Isoblob patch beta 0.91 Server Time
3 Sep 2024 02:19:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isoblob patch beta 0.91
From: Cliff Bowman
Date: 3 Aug 1999 15:27:05
Message: <37a7175b.68346935@news.povray.org>
On 28 Jul 1999 09:59:29 -0400, par### [at] fwicom (Ron Parker) wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Jul 1999 02:01:18 -0400, Mark Wagner wrote:
>>>"This page created entirely in the DOS editor"
>
>(Well, a little in Emacs.)
>
>Except for the images, it was.  Even some of the images were, with
>POV as a translator.
>
>>Created by Microsoft's only bug-free program ... Notepad!
>
>"This file is larger than 64K.  Would you like to edit it in
>Wordpad instead?"  Some will disagree with me, because they
>think design defects can't be bugs,

that'd be people like me - they designed it that way and so it's not a
bug but...

> but after four incarnations
>of the OS (3.x, 95, 98, and now Millennium) with no real fix in
>sight, I would call that one of Microsoft's biggest bugs yet.
>Especially the stupid workaround they added instead of fixing
>the problem.
[snip]

That's a crummy solution indeed. somewhere there's a nice sig (a user
of this server?) which defines Windows to a T. That the default text
editor can't handle anything over 64K (and can actually struggle well
before that IIRC) is terrible.

Oh - there IS a bug in notepad BTW. If you're editing your file and
you put too much in there, it tells you not that the file's grown too
large but that you've run out of memory. Impressive on a 96MB PC I can
tell you...

Cheers,

Cliff Bowman
Why not pay my 3D Dr Who site a visit at http://www.who3d.cwc.net/
PS change ".duffcom" to ".net" if replying via e-mail