POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : reflectivity patch : Re: reflectivity patch Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:27:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: reflectivity patch
From: Edward C
Date: 31 Jul 1999 10:53:23
Message: <37a30de3@news.povray.org>
>One problem is that I don't know how to calulate the other effects.

I've been thinking about the idea of blurred reflection recently, I've got a
few sketchy ideas:
When a ray hits a reflective object, you send out a number of rays, in-stead
of just one.  The number of rays would be user-specified and they would be
shot within a (user) specified angle of the ray which would normally be
shot.  The results would then be averaged together.
The directions of the rays should be determined algorithmically (possibly
with the option of jitter) to allow for animation.
I could probably psuedo code the whole thing if someone really wants, but I
probably couldn't provide working C code (so what am I doing hanging around
p.p you ask?)
P.S.  I know that determining the directions for the rays almost amounts to
the 'placing points evenly around a sphere' problem discussed in p.a-u, but
it need not be _that_ complex, since the rays need not be _that_ evenly
spaced.