POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Reflections... nice image and some questions. ~80k : Re: Reflections... nice image and some questions. ~80k Server Time
3 Oct 2024 21:22:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reflections... nice image and some questions. ~80k
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 4 Oct 1999 08:39:25
Message: <37F89FD6.72C0C5FD@peak.edu.ee>
Glenn Bech wrote:

> Q1)

The pigment of the surface is added to the reflected colour. So rgb
<1,0,0> reflection 1 is not a pure red mirror. A pure red mirror would
be rgb <0,0,0> reflection <1,0,0>

> Q2) In Real life, reflection increases when the viewers angle with with a
> plane decreases, right ? (My physics might
> be a little rusty, long time ago..) Does povray or other raytracers support
> this ?

The variable reflection patch (also included in the superpatch) does
this. It has two models. In the first one, where you simply specify the
minimum and maximum reflection and an optional falloff rate. The second
one uses the Fresnel reflectance function, which calculates reflection
based on ior. It is more accurate, but only works correctly with
transparent materials.
I've seen an implementation of the Fresnel model that works for both
dielectrics and metals, but that too required an ior value (copper was
something like 0.83). The result was extremely realistic metal surfaces.

Margus