POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Re: POVRAY 1.5mb compiled : Re: POVRAY 1.5mb compiled Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:14:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRAY 1.5mb compiled
From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 2 Oct 1999 14:32:59
Message: <37F65007.55E27DA5@geocities.com>
Marc Schimmler wrote:

> Lonney wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone tried the 1.5mb compiled download from the site? I keep
> > getting garbage displayed on the screen, no 'gz' file. I'm using
> > Mandrake Linux which is to say Red Hat 5.0. Any suggestions?
> > dew### [at] dewetecom
>
> OK, you use netscape. Therefore it's important to trick the automatic
> unzip of the file. Best way is to use the right mouse button and choose
> "save link as". This should do it. Otherwise you might see a the binary
> code direct in netscape ... not very informative! :-)
>
> I hope this one helps,

Well, I didn't see the link he was mentioning, but it sounds like a case
of Netscape doing the right thing.

Often web servers will send a file with an unknown extension as
"text/plain". In these cases the browser is supposed to listen to the
server and treat it as text. Broken browsers (shuch as MSIE) would instead
violate the RFC and behave on inspection of the URL and hide the server
problem from the users.

Another cause would be if he was hitting an FTP site. In that case if
there were no mapping for the end of a file name, Netscape does not know
what to do with an asset.

--
"My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
But it was obsolete before I opened the box" - W.A.Y.