POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Getting into Linux... : Re: Getting into Linux... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:24:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting into Linux...
From: Marc Schimmler
Date: 30 Sep 1999 14:44:50
Message: <37F3B0E6.1FDBBE1@ica.uni-stuttgart.de>
TonyB wrote:

> >I've been using LILO form the beginning and it never failed for me. You
> >can configure it in a way, that it boot WIN98 for your parents without
> >any input by them, LINUX if you type the command for it. It's easy and
> >doesn't interfere with their use. And knowin LINUX/UN*X is a clear
> >advantage for your possible later studies.
>
> Really? Interesting. I didn't know it would help my schooling. Actually, I
> want to get into it to avoid piracy as much as possible, and also because it
> is growning in popularity and is more stable than Windows (right?).

It's a good platform for programming. I think SuSE 6.2 is sipped with 6
CD's full with mostly free software and a few demos. It's fine for
networking and network security. One of the best (if not the best)
servers for windows is samba. One of the best web servers is apache. You
can use your computer to learn skills about networking and programming.
A lot of electronic books comes with it and the whole internet is a
resource for new code and information. This is also true for windows
users but for the linux community it's a kind pillar they rest on. Linux
*is* stable. And the best thing about it  ... it's free. If somethings
really bugs you and if you know how to program it is possible to correct
it. And one really nice thing about linux is that your computer won't
get that fast old than it does under windows. I still use my Pentium 90
with 48 MB RAM and I can still develop and run programs with an
acceptable speed.

And if I need to use WIN95 (yes that happens ... at least for sPatch),
well I reboot my machine and run it under WIN95.

Enough of shameless propaganda, just try it yourself!

Marc