POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Getting into Linux... : Re: Getting into Linux... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:34:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting into Linux...
From: Marc Schimmler
Date: 30 Sep 1999 08:06:07
Message: <37F3521C.4BD0B28C@ica.uni-stuttgart.de>
TonyB wrote:

> >No. I bought PartitionMagic, but from the little reading I did, decided to
> go
> >with LILO over Boot Magic. The gist of things may have been that
> PartitionMagic
> >was nicer graphically, but that LILO just was more robust and worked
> better.
>
> I need something that is simple to explain. My parents are both well into
> their 50s and need the easiest, most painfully obvious explanations when it
> comes to using the computer. Example 1: push the big button to turn it on;
> wait until the little light stops flashing (all is loaded), and then double
> click on the "Outlook Express" icon; wait, and the e-mail will be there.
> Example 2: if the machine is making noise (fan), then it is on.

I've been using LILO form the beginning and it never failed for me. You
can configure it in a way, that it boot WIN98 for your parents without
any input by them, LINUX if you type the command for it. It's easy and
doesn't interfere with their use. And knowin LINUX/UN*X is a clear
advantage for your possible later studies.

Marc

--
Marc Schimmler