POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Getting into Linux... : Re: Getting into Linux... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:26:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting into Linux...
From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 30 Sep 1999 02:35:25
Message: <37F304BF.45C1885A@geocities.com>
TonyB wrote:

> >4) On top of X and the window manager runs your desktop environment, if you
> >so choose to have one. This is usually either KDE (booo hiss) or GNOME.
>
> So KDE is bad even though it is more 'mature' than GNOME?

Yes. And MS Windows is bad even though it is more 'mature' than Linux.     ;-)

> >From what I read a little, sticking with LILO is the better thing to do. I
> >scanned the newsgroups this last spring when I bought Partition Magic and
> >first installed Linux at home.
>
> So, you use Boot Magic, but you recommend LILO?

No. I bought PartitionMagic, but from the little reading I did, decided to go
with LILO over Boot Magic. The gist of things may have been that PartitionMagic
was nicer graphically, but that LILO just was more robust and worked better.

> >BTW, if forgot to mention. I'd strongly suggest going with Red Hat 6.0 over
> >5.2. Among other things, there is the change from the 2.0.x kernel to the
> >2.2.x series. If you want, you can get the free version from places like
> >CheapBytes for $1.99 + S/H for a bootable install CD. (that's all I ever
> use)
>
> The guy I can get Mandrake from bought it via CheapBytes. Unfortunately I
> can't get any money out of dad, so that's not an option for me. The time I
> bought 5.2 was 'cause I was in Miami (Junior Orange Bowl) playing chess and
> I had some spending cash on me.
>
> OK. Another question I have is which distribution to go with. I can get
> Mandrake. I have RedHat 5.2. Mr. Parker recommends Caldera. Should I just
> install the one I can get my hands on the quickest?

Well, one thing I'd go by is try to get one that has 2.2.x kernel. Or skip
lunch a few days and buy the CheapBytes RedHat 6.0

--
"My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
But it was obsolete before I opened the box" - W.A.Y.