POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Getting into Linux... : Re: Getting into Linux... Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:25:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting into Linux...
From: Marc Schimmler
Date: 28 Sep 1999 14:51:02
Message: <37F10F67.26464B55@ica.uni-stuttgart.de>
TonyB wrote:

> Hello. I know a guy with Mandrake Linux (latest version), and he is always
> laughing at me for having bought Red Linux 5.2 and never installing it. I
> just haven't had time, and, up until recently, not enough hard drive space,
> and now, well, it's outdated. I'm thinking of connecting my 6GB hard drive
> with one of those Y cables to have my 13GB HD, 6GB HD and 24x CD-ROM all at
> the same time. The 6GB would, of course, go to Mandrake. Has anyone here
> ever installed Linux like this (separate HD)? I need all the help I can get.
> I am really, really meticulous and careful when I do anything to my
> computer. I need all the information in plain english. Please give me any
> suggestions you can. I would like to get things going just as good as I have
> them in Windows 98: a simple, easy to follow GUI, POV-Ray, games, Internet,
> speadsheets, e-mail, the works. Thanks in advance to everyone. =)

Hi Anthony!

It's especially easy to install Linux on a computer when you have a
seperate HD at hand. 6GB are still a lot (I only have 1GB for Linux and
WIN95 + my zip disks). The first thing you is to create a linux boot
disk for your computer or if you have a bootable CD-ROM boot linux from
the CD. Then you prepare several partitions (SuSE has a GUI for it) for
LINUX on the HD, which should be documented in the docs of the
distribution and format the HD. This is the trickiest part. After that
the software you wish to install is selected and played onto the
partitions. Then you or a installation GUI create a user and voila, you
are into Linux. After that Xwindows needs to be configured (the second
big step for newbies).
If you can get help from a friend who has done this before ask his.
Otherwise read the manual carefully. I know many people dislike SuSE but
at least their manual (in german) has allways been good.

This is a rough outline of the work to do.
You can configure the computer in a way that if you say nothing WIN98
will be booted and Linux only when you wish to boot it. Very helpful
when you have a wife like mine :-)

I don't know Mandrake but heard nothing bad about it!

All the Best and don't bother to ask further questions,

Marc