POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Why so slow? : Re: Why so slow? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:29:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why so slow?
From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 27 Sep 1999 22:07:01
Message: <37F022E7.3A5AE805@geocities.com>
Ken Matassa wrote:

> Jon A. Cruz wrote:
> ...snip...
>
> >... For example, my computer has a Proimise-66 ultra DMA controller, but the
drivers I'm running on under Linux are only tweaked for ultra-33 performance.

> ...snip...
>
> I was under the impression that Linux didn't support the ultra-66
> standard. Is it working because of the way you have your drives
> configured or what?
>
> Ken Matassa

Well, Linux on RH 6.0 with the 2.2.5 kernel supports the Ultra-33 DMA as long as the
install gets told the parameters. Also, Ultra-66 seems backwards
compatible with Ultra-33. I hear that the newer kernels handle Ultra-66.

I have a Promise Ultra-66 controller with my only hard-drive on it. The motherboard
IDE is not used except for CD and ZIP.

--
"My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
But it was obsolete before I opened the box" - W.A.Y.