POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Why so slow? : Re: Why so slow? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:30:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why so slow?
From: Peter Toneby
Date: 27 Sep 1999 18:12:16
Message: <37EFEBBF.E81382DC@acc.umu.se>
Mark Gordon wrote:

> Edward Coffey wrote:
> >
> > OK, so I'm pretty new to all this Linux jazz - but why is my newly-compiled
> > X-POV so very much slower than POV-Win?  I compiled it with the
> > optimisations appropriate for my machine, what can I do to make it faster?
> > (Machine: Pentium-Pro 200MHz, 32Mb ram, RedHat Linux 6.0)
>
> I've made the same observation.  My guess is that gcc doesn't optimize
> for Pentium II as well as MSVC++ does.  POV-Win experienced a big
> performance jump in moving from Watcom to MSVC++.

The standard makefile for PoV does not optimise for any particular
version of
the x86 so adding a -mpentiumpro might be a good thing to do, it might
add some
extra speed due to the specification to (e)gcc that it's safe to do some
things,
that "normal" pentiums doesn't understand.

note, I haven't done this myself, but it should be safe, since we are
using -O6.

/Peter Toneby