POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Blob Math : Re: Blob Math Server Time
11 Aug 2024 05:21:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blob Math
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 27 Sep 1999 11:19:56
Message: <37EF8B64.F91B180A@xs4all.nl>
Chris Maryan wrote:

> Having done some more research on blobs, I realize now that they may not
> be the best thing. Specifically, I need to define a point (which is free
> to move around according to lava-lamp physics). This point has an area
> around it (this would have been the blob) that  is there only for
> graphical purposes. The area would be spherical when the center point is
> away from any other center point/area groups and would blend together
> with other groups when they are close (Think blobs, defined by a center
> point and having a specific radius when not influenced by other blobs).
>
> I think the following may be a more useful solution (and it might be
> more within my mathematical ability) (see diagram below):
> A spline of some sort would be pulled around the 'x's (thus spherical
> when uninfluenced). When the center 'X' gets close enough to another
> group, the spline would be stretched around the 'x's of both groups.
> Either way, I have some ideas, but would love to know if anyone else has
> any thoughts, but for now, I'm off to a lecture, thanks for the help.
>
>       x     x

>       x     x

I've seen results some time ago from a demo-coding competition with a lavalamp
as subject and as far as I can remember the most convincing ones used an
algorithm similar to blob (or at least so I interpreted it - hmm...).
I had the URL at hand but can't seem to find it right now. If you really like I
think I can dig it up. Most of the entries had the sourcecode included.

Good luck,

Remco