POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Blob Math : Re: Blob Math Server Time
11 Aug 2024 05:13:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blob Math
From: Chris Maryan
Date: 27 Sep 1999 11:10:13
Message: <37EF88B4.AC48D8C3@mcmaster.ca>
Having done some more research on blobs, I realize now that they may not
be the best thing. Specifically, I need to define a point (which is free
to move around according to lava-lamp physics). This point has an area
around it (this would have been the blob) that  is there only for
graphical purposes. The area would be spherical when the center point is
away from any other center point/area groups and would blend together
with other groups when they are close (Think blobs, defined by a center
point and having a specific radius when not influenced by other blobs).

I think the following may be a more useful solution (and it might be
more within my mathematical ability) (see diagram below):
A spline of some sort would be pulled around the 'x's (thus spherical
when uninfluenced). When the center 'X' gets close enough to another
group, the spline would be stretched around the 'x's of both groups.
Either way, I have some ideas, but would love to know if anyone else has
any thoughts, but for now, I'm off to a lecture, thanks for the help.

      x     x

      x     x

--
Chris Maryan