POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Why so slow? : Re: Why so slow? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:15:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why so slow?
From: Jean Montambeault
Date: 26 Sep 1999 18:42:53
Message: <37EEA16C.4DE02E4D@videotron.ca>
Mark Gordon wrote:

> Edward Coffey wrote:
> >
> > OK, so I'm pretty new to all this Linux jazz - but why is my newly-compiled
> > X-POV so very much slower than POV-Win?  I compiled it with the
> > optimisations appropriate for my machine, what can I do to make it faster?
> > (Machine: Pentium-Pro 200MHz, 32Mb ram, RedHat Linux 6.0)
>
> I've made the same observation.  My guess is that gcc doesn't optimize
> for Pentium II as well as MSVC++ does.  POV-Win experienced a big
> performance jump in moving from Watcom to MSVC++.
>
> -Mark Gordon

	For what it's worth, I can render the skyvase.pov benchmark in 1
min 43 seconds under Windows 98 and 1 min 30 under X-window
(WindowMaker, kernel 2.0.36 from an installation by Redhat 5.2). Now
there's no need for swapping here (128 Mbytes RAM).
	There's a real neat little program named "top" on my computer that
can be called from any console or x-term : it will tell you
everything you need to know about the action going on at your
system. It's on mine from birth but probably exist in some RPM
depot. Try it : do "h" to list the option. "P" (capitalized) sort
the processes by % of cpu usage.

	Good luck.

	Jean M.