POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Patch Documentation : Re: Patch Documentation Server Time
2 Sep 2024 18:19:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Patch Documentation
From: Ken
Date: 21 Sep 1999 04:28:18
Message: <37E74113.D16F63A@pacbell.net>
TonyB wrote:

> That's what you guys ought to do: write a simple explanation of what that
> new doohikey you added does, have someone bust their brains out figuring out
> its pros and cons and tricks, and then have that person send you a
> documented explanation. It's just that simple! =)

Amusing.

  When someone is new to the official version of POV-Ray there is a
certain amount of justification to simply beat them over the head with
RTFM !!! Why is that justifiable ? Because the program is so well
documented and dozens of examples are given to explain the concepts.
  When a new patch comes out however the writer of the patch is inundated
with questions from the users of the patch seeking clarification on
operating parameters and ideologies behind the function of the patch.
One would think that the patch writers would try to head off all of the
questions they are eventually going to have to field anyway by spending a
few minutes documenting their new labor of love. If you add up the number
of sentences written in reply to user questions you would see there is
no time lost by taking the time to write a little about what the patch is
supposed to do and how it works. Who better to document it that new patch
than the person who seemingly knows how it works the most - the patch's
author. We the unsuspecting users of the patch are not mind readers you
know !

--
Ken Tyler

See my 1000+ Povray, 3D Rendering, and Raytracing Links at: