POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Speeding up glass-raytracing / Pentium optimization : Re: Speeding up glass-raytracing / Pentium optimization Server Time
5 Sep 2024 20:21:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speeding up glass-raytracing / Pentium optimization
From: Ken
Date: 19 Sep 1999 17:10:20
Message: <37E550B8.EF17107C@pacbell.net>
Tim Kaulmann wrote:

> Hello there !
>
> Is there a way to speed up the calculation of a scene that has 3
> glass-objects with reflection and refraction in it ?

 Not really. You can try lowering the reflection component which is usualy
what causes the greatest slow down due to internal reflection calculations.
A high ior value in the interior statement will also slow you down but not
as much as the reflection value will. Also make sure that you have a -
max_trace_level specified in the global settings statement. Start with
something like 10 - 15 to begin with. It may not speed it up but it does
help clear refractive objects come out looking better in many cases.

> At a certain point my POV3.1 for Win slows down to 2 pps on my Pentium MMX
> 233 (128 MB RAM) :-(
> On the other hand the output of this tracer ist so great that I go
> completely crazy :-)=)

Welcome to the wonderful world of raytracing :)

> Is there a version that is optimized for Pentium MMX only ?

 None that I am aware of and the instruction set for the MMX is not really
an aid to raytracing anyway. If you are using the pentium optimized version
of the program under windows you are most likely seeing all of the speed
you are likely to get. If you are not already using the MSVC6 version as
opposed to the watcom compile you may wish to download that from povray.org.
It does give some speed imporvements over the watcom compile of the program.

--
Ken Tyler

See my 1000+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at: