POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : OUCH! My computer hurts! : OUCH! My computer hurts! Server Time
11 Aug 2024 05:20:14 EDT (-0400)
  OUCH! My computer hurts!
From: Larry Fontaine
Date: 18 Sep 1999 21:42:33
Message: <37E43DBA.2072F339@isd.net>
After I posted my "Twysted Dodeca" image, Chris Huff said I should put
photons through it. Boy, that would look cool!
Well, I just downloaded uvPov, and tried to render the scene with a
glass twyst, sitting on a brick surface, with photon refracted caustics.
We went out to eat, and an hour and a half after it had started I
checked and it was still building photon maps! So I just shut it down
:-( Simply changing the twyst from a union to a merge, with just a
simple pigment texture, jumps the render time up some 40000%!!!! OUCH, I
apologize to my poor little P3 450 with a measly 128 RAM. I am beginning
to doubt if even networked Crays can render my scene.