POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : why is mosaic preview required for radiosity? : Re: why is mosaic preview required for radiosity? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:21:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: why is mosaic preview required for radiosity?
From: Tomas Plachetka
Date: 16 Sep 1999 12:39:04
Message: <37E11CC9.C73E06DB@uni-paderborn.de>
Ron Parker wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 17:00:31 +0200, Tomas Plachetka wrote:
> >i wonder why is mosaic preview for "radiosity" important.
>
> Because the radiosity calculations require a well-distributed
> set of sample points.  Mosaic preview goes over the entire scene,
> so the points that are created as it samples the coarser grid
> approximate the ones that will be needed when it computes at the
> finer resolution.

thanks for your quick reply. yes, you are right (when
looking around here i see you always are  :-)

however, i'm more interested in what would happen if the
mosaic preview were not used. would the radiosity code
still work? would it just run slower? would the quality
of the rendering suffer?

my questions concern the screen parallelisation of pov-ray.
making the "radiosity" code work in parallel is imho a
nontrivial task. mosaic preview is just one of the problems
i'm aware of, there are more difficult ones. pvmpov seems
not to care about them. (each of the slave processes builds
its own "radiosity" octree; the octrees are never merged and
could not be saved; etc. i'm not sure whether the slaves do
the mosaic preview on their chunks or not - i can only see
the pvmpov patch file now, which is a little inconvenient to
read.)

	y.

p.s.happy birthday!