POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Single BMP, perhaps you all misunderstood my question : Re: Single BMP, perhaps you all misunderstood my question Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:22:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Single BMP, perhaps you all misunderstood my question
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 7 Sep 1999 07:20:40
Message: <37D4F62C.DAB73FD2@xs4all.nl>
Nieminen Juha wrote:

> Remco de Korte <rem### [at] xs4allnl> wrote:
> :> 2) BMP for a game? I'd really suggest trying to stay away from BMP if at
> :> all possible. Store things as PNG and just convert to BITMAP as you read
> :> in.
>
> : Again: why? What would be the advantage of PNG over BMP? It loads much slower.
>
>   Size. Why should you make a 10-Megs game when it could be a 1-Meg game?
>   Disk space is cheap, but still limited.

Ehm, we're talking about a _game_ here. Like those things you can download 28Mb
demo's of.
Would it really be such an advantage to use PNGs instead of BMPs? I think not.
As a matter of fact I think PNG are seldomly used for that. There are all sorts
of custom formats around where multiple images are stored in one big
blob-data-file but if you want to make it simple on your self in programming a
game on a windows platform BMP is not such a bad choice. If diskspace is a
consideration you might use RLE-compressed bitmaps (if you're colordepth allows
it).
From the games I've seen speed is much more an issue then diskspace.
Diskspace was an issue when a game had to be crammed onto floppies. That's
(nearly ancient) history by now.
BTW: I'm not saying that I'm in favor of those huge games, there are some really
good games that may even look good (considering...) that take less then 100K.
But then we're not talking Windows games anymore.
I guess when you decide to make a Windows program you've already accepted the
fact that it takes up much more diskspace then really necessary.

Mazzel!

Remco