POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Single BMP, perhaps you all misunderstood my question : Re: Single BMP, perhaps you all misunderstood my question Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:30:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Single BMP, perhaps you all misunderstood my question
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 7 Sep 1999 04:57:23
Message: <37D4CDB2.B0409D31@xs4all.nl>
Jon A. Cruz wrote:

> 1) Make it 64x640. Tall, not wide. Then you have the benefit of having the
> memory for the one frame structured almost as if it was an individual pic.
> Makes it better for several other reasons also. Each frame can be
> displayed/manipulated without having to know the total number of frames.
> Etc, etc., etc. It also makes it much easier for me to write you a custom
> concatenation program if you can't find anything else.

Could you please explain. I don't think I understand your reasoning here.

> 2) BMP for a game? I'd really suggest trying to stay away from BMP if at
> all possible. Store things as PNG and just convert to BITMAP as you read
> in.

Again: why? What would be the advantage of PNG over BMP? It loads much slower.

> 3) If it's a game and it's for a sprite, you'll be much better off if it's
> all one single pallete. Or all true-color. If you're designing for 8-bit
> display, you'll want to carefully handle the palette allocation.

_If_ it has to be 8-bit just stick all images in a 24-bit image and reduce that
to 8-bit. But 8-bit as a standard is becoming a little bit outdated, at least
for games.

On all these topics: it may depend on what platform you're using. I was wildly
assuming that it would be a windows-game where, for instance, BMP is the native
format.

Regards,

Remco