POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Single BMP, perhaps you all misunderstood my question : Re: Single BMP, perhaps you all misunderstood my question Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:28:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Single BMP, perhaps you all misunderstood my question
From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 7 Sep 1999 00:16:47
Message: <37D4918A.E0306B7F@geocities.com>
Crunchy Frog wrote:

> > Well, I can think of two right off hand that should do it.
> >
> > Image Magick and the Gimp.
> >
> > But the question of "why?" comes to mind.
>
> I want to be able to load a single BMP as a set of frames for animation
> in a game.

Well, that was one of the reasons I was thinking was possible. In that
case your constraints are a little sub-optimal.

Since you had mentioned your own display mechanism, I'd suggest the
following:

1) Make it 64x640. Tall, not wide. Then you have the benefit of having the
memory for the one frame structured almost as if it was an individual pic.
Makes it better for several other reasons also. Each frame can be
displayed/manipulated without having to know the total number of frames.
Etc, etc., etc. It also makes it much easier for me to write you a custom
concatenation program if you can't find anything else.

2) BMP for a game? I'd really suggest trying to stay away from BMP if at
all possible. Store things as PNG and just convert to BITMAP as you read
in.

3) If it's a game and it's for a sprite, you'll be much better off if it's
all one single pallete. Or all true-color. If you're designing for 8-bit
display, you'll want to carefully handle the palette allocation.

--
"My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
But it was obsolete before I opened the box" - W.A.Y.