POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Calling all uv experts... : Re: Calling all uv experts... Server Time
3 Sep 2024 00:21:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Calling all uv experts...
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 6 Sep 1999 10:19:21
Message: <37D3CE06.622EF0D7@inapg.inra.fr>
> mesh2 to be included after someone other than me has passed some
> comments on the program. I want to get the "OBJ to Cliff" conversion
> down pat first. Now I'm comfortable with uvPOV's UV implimentation
> (the first I ever encountered BTW) I need to maximise my understanding
> of Posers/OBJ's.

One reason I use mesh2 is the drastic reduction in both file size and parsing
time (+ some little reduction in memory use). I have a long-delayed project
of an animation involving galloping horses. The gallop cycle would use 30 or
so meshes and I'd like to parse at lease 5 horses simultaneously. For this
kind of project, both batch support and mesh2 support would be handy.

> BTW I hear you've done some interesting hair... pointers on where to
> look up what you've done?

I'm going to disappoint you... The hair I "did" was just a hair mesh from
Poser. The only improvement was to use an alpha channel on the hair map to
simulate individual hair strands by making some of the hair transparent. This
is only possible on meshes with uv mapping of course. Actually, now that
Poser figures have become really usable, one of the big limit is the hair.
I've yet to see mesh hair that are as convincing in close-up as the faces
are. I wonder if it could be possible to use some of the uv mapping info to
grow the hair more precisely (some sort of uv-hair map instead of a color
one). A utility could read the mesh and the map and then produce a hair mesh
according to the map and other options (flow, gravity, interaction with other
body parts). Just dreaming.
Gilles