POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Square and triangular pattern : Re: Square and triangular pattern Server Time
3 Sep 2024 00:14:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Square and triangular pattern
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 2 Sep 1999 12:09:45
Message: <37CEA17F.27E34B25@fv.aetec.ee>
Nieminen Juha wrote:

> Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
> : Regardless the fact the you and Warp, both advanced users, can figure out
> : a somewhat complicated method of rendering this pattern, does not make
> : it intuitively obvious to others and I doubt less than 10% of all Pov
> : users could do it themselves. Patches are for more than mere convenience
> : of parsing speed and memory effeciency.
>
>   If we add a patch to povray every time someone wants his own pattern
> type, povray would grow wildly and there would be a lot more maintenance
> problems.

Well, this reminds me recent discussion in c.g.r.r., where discussion
about hard-coded textures vs. "coded shaders" took place. Perhaps
someone could create patch for texture plugins: user creates it's own
texture with script, then specifies it as object texture and renders.
Best would be, if texture is in Renderman format (i.e. Renderman
shader). Any takers?