POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Square and triangular pattern : Re: Square and triangular pattern Server Time
3 Sep 2024 00:21:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Square and triangular pattern
From: Ken
Date: 1 Sep 1999 10:57:43
Message: <37CD3EAB.82894DD0@pacbell.net>
Ron Parker wrote:

> For the same reason that John VanSickle won't put UV support in the
> subdivision suite until it's provided in an official version: a scene
> file that uses that pattern won't work in the official POV.  If it's
> an effect that can be accomplished by other means, and if you plan to
> share your scene file, why not use the portable way?

There is nothing wrong with the portable way per se (Ah peotry). I have
however have become inspired by Chris Young's proposal to incorporate
patches into the official version and if people rely on only the portable
coding methods he may never get an itch to add similar patterns in the
future. For that matter are there not a handful of custom patterns in
the SP simply because they tickled someones fancy ?

> >Regardless the fact the you and Warp, both advanced users, can figure out
> >a somewhat complicated method of rendering this pattern, does not make
> >it intuitively obvious to others and I doubt less than 10% of all Pov
> >users could do it themselves.
>
> True.  Which is why instead of saying "It can be done" I actually spent
> a few minutes to do it and share it with the world, as did Warp.

We commend you for your efforts in this regard and encourage you to continue
to do so but how many of the total number of Pov users are you really reaching
with these generous donations ? Again on my little soap box if you at least
posted the code for these unique patterns that you develope in one of the
scene-files groups with an appropriate header you would probably reach a
greater number of users with them. Buried in a reply to a thread like this
few will ever be able to find your code again even with a good search routine.

> >Yeah warp listen to papa :)
> Does that make me Papa Parker, Unka Ken?  Others might have felt this
> comment was just a bit patronizing; fortunately, I'm rather thick-skinned.

Actually that was more of a dig in Warps direction Papa "leather neck" Parker.

--
Ken Tyler

See my 850+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at: