POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Help me pls! Turning list of points into triangle mesh? : Re: Help me pls! Turning list of points into triangle mesh? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:26:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help me pls! Turning list of points into triangle mesh?
From: Mark Gordon
Date: 29 Aug 1999 21:07:56
Message: <37C9D99F.CAB834ED@mailbag.com>
Cliff Bowman wrote:

> I think what I'm going to ahve to do is write a "face preview"
> facility in OBJuvPOV I think. So that I can *see* what the program's
> encountering to help me evaluate which tack might work (I'm not good
> at math - I've not the first idea how to work out if a face is planar
> given just the verteces - unless they happen to lie along one of the
> axes, of course!).

Any three points define a plane.  Derive an equation of that plane from
the vertices, and test the other points to see whether they lie on that
plane.  Actually, you should expect a little deviation from the plane on
account of finite precision, so test whether the point is within some
small distance epsilon of the plane.

--
Mark Gordon
mtg### [at] povrayorg