POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Help me pls! Turning list of points into triangle mesh? : Re: Help me pls! Turning list of points into triangle mesh? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:21:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help me pls! Turning list of points into triangle mesh?
From: Mark Gordon
Date: 29 Aug 1999 10:18:03
Message: <37C9414C.AA299D4E@mailbag.com>
Remco de Korte wrote:

> I don't know if this'll alway work but I would calculate a 'middle'-point (M)
> (adding up aal points in the object and dividing them by the amount of points)
> then step through the row of points connecting two consecutive points to this M
> (creating a triangle.

If the polygon is planar, there is no benefit to this approach.  If the
polygons are approximations of curved surfaces or the vertices are
points on a curved surface, picking a point in the middle and
reevaluating the surface function at that point does make some sense.
If adding points isn't necessary, then adding points will increase the
number of triangles and thereby decrease performance.  If the polygon is
planar, just pick an existing vertex and draw edges to all the other
points. If all the narrow angles cause acne or something due to loss of
precision, though, your idea may be worth a shot.  I haven't actually
tried it.

--
Mark Gordon
mtg### [at] povrayorg